Violent creams

Image ©Lucy Stendall Photography

Malapropism (noun) The mistaken use of a word in place of a similar sounding one, often with an amusing effect.

This is what my Grandma called violet creams. And also what the lady in the chocolate shop calls them too, as it turns out.

These ones are from Belgium and are topped with a crystallised violet petal, how sweet!

For the record, whilst these sugary treats aren’t actually violent, I wouldn’t recommend eating too many of them in a row without a glass of cold water to hand. I’d go as far as to say that 4 in a row is perhaps over doing it.

Grandmas tend to be very good at coming up with these malapropisms. If you know of any, drop me an email to hello {at} lifeofbarbara {dot} com.

Posted in: Malapropism

Tagged:

8 Comments

1. Posted February 5, 2013 at 11:12 am | Permalink

These look like little squishy mouthfuls of yumminess. I love that your Gran called them Violent creams, it made me chuckle! I can’t think of anything that my Nan says off the top of my head, however I am visiting soon so shall take notes especially for you Babs!

• admin
      Posted February 5, 2013 at 11:21 am | Permalink

You’re too good to me. Take two pens, just in case.

2. Lara Blue
    Posted February 5, 2013 at 11:12 am | Permalink

Ha ha, I love these. I shall ask my mother and grandmother (after racking my brains in vain, I’ve decided that I need to call in the “big guns”)

• admin
      Posted February 5, 2013 at 11:22 am | Permalink

This is what I like to hear! I feel this quest should be accompanied by some rousing music.

3. Posted February 5, 2013 at 11:56 am | Permalink

My nan once asked why Gary Glitter was singing about Margate.

I asked what she was talking about. She said “you know, that song, Do You Want to Go to Margate, Margate, Margate”.

Bless.

• admin
      Posted February 5, 2013 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

That’s brilliant, I wonder if Gary ever went to Margate? They call these Mondegreens I think, and one I remember is from my friend’s mum who thought the Oasis lyric was ‘and after all, you are wonderful’. Oh and my own dear Ma thought the Beastie Boys were singing about fighting for their right to go home. God love her.

4. Posted February 6, 2013 at 6:38 pm | Permalink

We have a much loved & respected, and also most forthright aunt called Violet. We affectionately refer to her, quietly as Aunt Violent.

• admin