Suggestives

Image © Lucy Stendall Photography Ltd

Malapropism (noun): The mistaken use of a word in place of a similar sounding one, often with an amusing effect.

This one comes from my friend’s Grandma. Calling Digestives, Suggestives has to be one of my favourites ever, surely?

I’m collecting malapropisms, hopefully to build up a nice little series of them on this blog. If you have more where this came from, drop me an email hello {at} life of barbara {dot} com

Posted in: Malapropism

Tagged:

13 Comments

1. Posted January 31, 2013 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

I’ve always liked Flutter-by (Butterfly). Is that one?

• admin
      Posted January 31, 2013 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

I think it’s a Spoonerism, but I’d need to check. Flutterby is so much prettier and less greasy sounding than butterfly though. I wonder why that isn’t what they’re called?

• Posted January 31, 2013 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

have just googled the difference! I feel much more educated now :)

2. Posted January 31, 2013 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

My little boy (days away from being 6) is learning about Florence Nightingale. For homework he had to write a sentence about her … ” Florence the Nightingale was busy as she looked after six soldiers” . Love him. When I gently tried to correct him, he objected so I left it at that.

• admin
      Posted January 31, 2013 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

great mental image of a Nightingale looking after soldiers. Flitting from bed to bed like an old Disney animation. That must have been a lot of work for a bird.

3. karen
    Posted January 31, 2013 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

more the six soldiers thing – he thinks its six soldiers rather than sick soldiers!

• admin
      Posted January 31, 2013 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

ha! Of course! I was so distracted by Florence the Nightingale…

4. Posted January 31, 2013 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

Having a nice lion at the weekend.
    Does that count?

• admin
      Posted January 31, 2013 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

That’s a fabulous one, it’s going on my list! I hope you mean Lion the bar not the actual animal. Mmm Lion Bars…

• Posted February 7, 2013 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

the actual animal… when you mean lie in.

5. Posted February 1, 2013 at 11:19 am | Permalink

James’s grandad used to say Corporation Street instead of Coronation St. It was mainly intentional though.

6. Posted February 11, 2013 at 9:23 pm | Permalink

My little Jessies one that stuck…..”The Fairy Cross” on the Mersey ….is that one? lol

7. Lucy Whitley
    Posted November 1, 2013 at 8:08 pm | Permalink

My Auntie who is nearly 80 always says symmetry instead of cemetery!